Stop losing, start finding!

6 Jan

Some weeks ago I backed the Chipolo project on Kickstarter (check the review “If the bluetooth tag is blue, red, yellow or … it’s a Chipolo!“).
I chose the #YouNameIt package which gives the possibility to customise the 4 Chipolo Bluetooth chips with a name (I love it).

And here they are, just landed in my mailbox! I’ve been playing with it for some days now.

I opened the package, downloaded the app on iTunes and started assigning the Chipolo to its task.
The app offers the choice between 7 icones (key, car, home, chip, heart, handbag and pet). It’s like when you play the Monopoly and choose your metal token.
I configured my first green @ChaseItOrBChase Chipolo as a key.

Chipolo Chipolo image

The icons allows you to distinguish your different Chipolos.

The motto of Chipolo is “Nothing is lost” and you Chipolo will help you track down you stuff.
When the Chipolo is in close range you can make it beep by tapping the horn on your Chipolo app.image
When you leave your Chipolo behind, it will beep and even sent you a message on your phone.
If you still forget your Chipolo somewhere, open the app and tap on the magnifier and find the timing and the address where your Chipolo was last “seen”.
Cherry on the cake, the Chipolo will also give the temperature!

Great features for a great price (24€ for 1 Chipolo, 44€ for 2, 64€ for 3, 84€ for 4)!!

Good to know:
. Distance max between you iPhone and Chipolo is 60feet
. You can configure for each Chipolo with the following features
.. In range notification
.. Out of range notification
.. Shake and find notification
. By the way, the connexion between you iPhone or Android phone is Bluetooth so even if you don’t use data outside home, you will be able to find your Chipolo and that’s way cool.

F.y.i., my green Chipolo is hooked to my work badge (to help me not forgetting it on my desk and beg a colleague to badge me in), my yellow is hanging in my bedroom and gives me the temp, my red</strong> is not yet attributed and my white is a gift for my brother.

More info on the Chipolo

13 Responses to “Stop losing, start finding!”

1. andy1076 January 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM #

ah.. it’s come to this huh! lol 😀

• chaseitorbchased January 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM #

It works with me !!

• andy1076 January 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM #

I do have to admit, it does catch my interest 😀

• chaseitorbchased January 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM #

And I’m sure there are lots of way to use it for anyone

• andy1076 January 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM #

It just better not end up on kids in shopping malls for parents who drop them off at the toy store, boy do I see lots of those! 😀

• chaseitorbchased January 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM #

My mom uses FindMyFriends apps

• betunada January 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM #

i agree with you andy. fortunately, i still have enough fingers left (maybe i should felt-tip-ink-# them) to keep track of the, uh, five, or six, or is it four? important things …

2. betunada January 13, 2014 at 5:39 AM #

once one keeps track of stuff with something like this, something (i won’t say what) has already been lost …

3. viveka January 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM #

This is another gadget I would love to have … I can never find anything .. keys, glasses … wallet … name it and I have to look for it. Brilliant little thing.

• chaseitorbchased January 20, 2014 at 1:20 PM #

It really helps for my keys and office badge.

• viveka January 20, 2014 at 5:52 PM #

I just love .. the them – checked out the website .. just the same as I open my entrance door with – a little button. Wonderful.

4. onirom January 7, 2015 at 4:44 PM #

Comments are not much use if you have not tried it.
    I have two of these. I am using it on Nexus 7 2013, android 4.4.4.
    So far I am highly disappointed. It takes ages to connect first time. The app is very imprecise, the signal strength varies at random, sometimes signal is strong at few meters distance, sometime much weeker at below one meter distance. And there is no direction indication. That is is extremely confusing, self test is someone to hide the chipolo and you try finding it. A hard time I assure you, most of the time as long as you are connected you can understand the chipolo is in that room, but actually tracking it down precisely is very difficult! Most of the time it is easier guessing where you may have put it…
    add to that that often as soon as you go beyond 3 meters range, often less, the chipolo connetion is lost… they you are totally blind. You can search the house at length and it will not connect again, even when you actually know where it is and even when you get close to it…!
    Moreover the app keeps sending annoying notifications that your chipolo is out of range (even when it’s on the table in front of you…).
    Moreover if you check battery consumption the app is draining you battery considerably!
    I am not sure if these are app bugs that can be solved.
    At the moment I have unistalled the app.
    So far, it’s just an expensive key ring…