Small talk in the lift ?

29 Apr

Small talk in the lift ? Let’s prep you with the good infos about the weather.
What do you talk about with your colleagues when enter the lift the morning when you arrive at the office ? You talk about the weather of course !
But you don’t have all the informations, so let’s browse the apps that are out there giving you the best weather forecast.

1. The built-in Weather widget
Advantages: free, built-in, hour by hour and weekly forecasts, low/high temperatures, you can add as many favourite countries as you like, part of the notification center.
Disadvantages: not as completed as could be (no UV, precipitation chances, …).

Photo 21-04-13 10 09 55 AM

2. The weather channel
Advantages: free and paid-app, all is in, UV index, dew point, sunrise and sunset, humidity, visibility and pressure.
Disadvantages: adds in the free apps, paid-app for 3,99$.

Photo 21-04-13 10 13 37 AM Photo 21-04-13 10 13 43 AM Photo 21-04-13 10 13 49 AM
Photo 21-04-13 10 13 54 AM

3. Solar, free
Graphical and beautiful app, pull down to see the next 3 days low/hights forecasted temperatures.
Double-tap the main screen for a split screen with the temp of your favorite cities.
Advantages: free and beautiful, as many bookmarked places as you wish but then you have to slide to switch from one page to another.
Disadvantages: only the temp and forecast for next 3 days.

Photo 21-04-13 10 12 02 AM Photo 21-04-13 10 57 37 AM

4. Haze, 2,69euros
This is a great and beautiful app, full of infos. 3 main screens present the 3 key infos (hours of sun, temperature and chance of rain).
. Hours of sun: sunrise/sunset, % clouds, UV.
. Temperature: high/low, wind speed, feels like temperature.
. Chance of rains: humidity, inch of water expected, pressure, humidity.
Advantages: beautiful interface, one tap on the central number and it reveals additional informations.
Disadvantages: none.

Photo 21-04-13 10 12 43 AM Photo 21-04-13 10 12 47 AM Photo 21-04-13 10 12 52 AM

5. NOAA Radar Pro, 0,89$
The reference when it comes to weather and forecast. It is a great and beautiful app full of infos.
Advantages: all you dream about weather is here (feels like temperature, pressure, humidity, wind, visibility, dew point, 7 days forecast, hour by hour forecast). Bookmarks for your favorite cities.
Disadvantages: none.

Photo 21-04-13 10 31 21 AM Photo 21-04-13 10 09 32 AM Photo 21-04-13 10 09 55 AM

6. Ultraviolet

An ultraviolet index viewer. Geolocalisation an possibility to check the UV index wherever in the world.
Advantages: easy and simple.
Disadvantages: none.

Photo 21-04-13 10 11 49 AM

If you only need one, I would go for the Haze and the NOAA app which bring me all what I need (I know it’s 2 … ;-). Those are complementary to the use of my portable solar panel πŸ˜‰

17 Responses to “Small talk in the lift ?”

1. andy1076 April 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM #

Sigh! What a shame haze isn’t available mobile on my s3 😦

• chaseitorbchased April 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM #

Sorry, it’s really a beautiful app as you don’t see many. Maybe they will develop for android. Ask to @gethaze they answer really fast

• andy1076 April 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM #

I shall definitely do that πŸ™‚

2. vastlycurious.com April 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM #

Love your Blogs! I need a Navigation system that is audio and NOT AT&T or Google maps? Suggestions? I don’t mind paying if its a good one!

• chaseitorbchased April 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM #

Go for Scout! It’s a great app. Check it out and tell me what you think.

• vastlycurious.com April 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM #

OH ! Okay thanks I surely will. Google keeps cutting out and AT &T just updated their version and it keeps showing me a red slash that I am speeding? Moi??

• chaseitorbchased April 30, 2013 at 7:08 AM #

You couldn’t be the one speeding! Not too! Try scout it works well,voice guide and also give you restaurants,… Wherever you are looking nexto you position. Doesn’t work in Europe though …

3. viveka April 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM #

Have totally forgotten to say thank you … for the link for the keyboard cover.
    The weather I can do nothing about … *smile

4. franhunne4u May 5, 2013 at 1:09 AM #

Hm – you know, people have been talking about their actual weather for decades. I don’t think they need the help of an app for that.
    Of course those apps are fantastic when you need a weather forecast and do not consult other sources. I am probably showing my age here – but most people I know still listen to the radio in the morning. For exactly that reason – to get the weather forecast to find out what to wear. Still, if I had a smartphone I would probably rather have a weather app than facebook. *moving my zimmerframe out of your blog now*

• chaseitorbchased May 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM #

Hello there, thanks for sharing your thoughts. When I wake up, I don’t have time to listen to the radio so basically I look at the app and decide for long or short sleeves πŸ˜‰

5. Kavita Joshi May 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM #

very informative post dear..thanks a lot for sharing

• chaseitorbchased May 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM #

Thanks for visiting!

• Kavita Joshi May 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM #

your most welcome dear…nice blog you have..keep blogging !

• chaseitorbchased May 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM #

Working on lots of posts πŸ˜‰ thanks for your support

• Kavita Joshi May 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM #

that’s awesome dear..all the best πŸ™‚