12 Apr

3e74e22c256b6d26b8d92f5a0583bd83_largeSome days ago I backed my first project on Kickstarter “The Thermodo“, then I started to browse the projects and I discovered “the Crabby Wallet, a minimalist wallet that holds everything you need and nothing more”.
The project was 100% funded in 24 hours!

I decided to check out a little deeper how the Crowdfunding works and also to interview Ryan Crabtree who presented his first project on Kickstarter some days ago.

Before going further, here are the keywords to better understand the Crowfunding.
“A Project is funded when the Backers support it financially and the Goal is reached before the Deadline is up”.
. The Project, is a product/service/idea presented to an audience in order to be funded.
. The Backers are the people who believe in the project and invest some money in it.
. When the Deadline is up, the Project will exist for good if 100% founded.

Now that we are all up to speed, let’s discuss with Ryan Crabtree, the inventor of the Crabby Wallet.
Photo 7-04-13 6 37 24 PM1. How did the adventure of the Crabby wallet started?
It started during a softball season. I really wanted a way to bundle my phone, keys, and wallet together. I always carry these 3 things, as do most people, but sometimes they become inconvenient during sports and recreation. I am active outdoors and really wanted my wallet to be small and hold only the essentials.

Tell us about the concept, how many prototypes before the Crabby wallet, any upgrade for the future?
There were probably about 10+ different prototypes. I really was sewing a new wallet every night for a couple weeks. The wallet really evolved as I used it and made tweaks to it. I sent it out to other people to test and give feedback too. The keyring loop moved positions, lengths, material many times before it became what it is today, as well as the phone strap. Every part of the wallet was changed at some time or another during the process.

2. How long did you worked on your project before launching your Kickstarer page?
I started the project early fall of 2012. I spent a couple months creating wallets for myself and others before I played around with the idea of posting it on kickstarter. I spend the next few months doing some heavy analyzing of successful kicksstarter projects. I began to recognize what was essential in a successful Kickstarter project. During this time, I started contacting manufacturers to help me create some prototypes that could be mass produced. They also helped me get my logo onto the wallet which I was unable to do on my own. I didn’t have the equipment to do this. After realizing my wallet was a good fit for a kickstarter project, I then spent about two months putting together the project page and video. It seems like a simple task to do this, but It really took a lot of time to make everything look the way I wanted it to. I have to give my wife credit for a great video, she helped me out with a lot on that.

3. How did you get the idea to use the crowd funding ? Why did you decided to reach out to crowd founding?
My brother introduced me to kickstarter. He showed me some really cool projects that I was interested in. One of the projects, The Gliff, had already ended, but we were really intrigued by the process these guys went through to get their product on the market. From that point forward I thought about how some of my previous personal project could have been a good fit for kickstarter. After making some of the first prototypes of the wallet, and saw that other people liked them, I really began to consider kickstarter as a way to make the project a reality. It was a way that I could get funds to have a manufacturer make them.

4. Your project was funded in 24 hours. What are the next steps now?
My days have been full of responding to backers questions and making sure everything is lined up to reward my backers pledges n June. I spend a lot of my day communicating details and deadlines with the manufacturer, prepping for fulfillment, and even exploring the future of the Crabby Wallet sales and companion products.

Physical vs online distribution?
I Initially thought I would strictly have online distribution after the project ends on Kickstarter, but a lot of opportunities are opening up as the project gets more successful. The future of the Crabby Wallet is changing everyday.

5. Do you have other projects?
I have a whole book of ideas that has been years in the making and a lot of personal prototypes of different project that I use for myself . I hope that the Crabby Wallet isn’t a one hit wonder. I really hope to implement some of my other ideas and concepts to benefit other people too.

Still 20 days to go before the Crabby Wallet will exist for good and will be shipped July, I’m all excited to receive mine …

If you didn’t backed the Crabby Wallet yet, you still have time to do it but be fast clock is ticking.
The Crabby Wallet on Kickstarter

If you want to dig deeper the Crowdfunding, check the following sites
. KickstarterIndiegogoRocketHubGoFundMeRazooCrowdrise
. To fund Apps developments: Appbackr
. To help Music projects: PledgeMusicSellaband

33 Responses to “Too much money in your pocket or just enough to help someone’s dream come to true ?”

1. Rahburt April 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM #

awesome. great share! i love innovation and hearing stories of people with big dreams.

• chaseitorbchased April 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM #

Thanks, then go on kickstarter. There are lots of projects, you need to sort it out. But I found some of great interest (my interest, so it may not match everyone’s).

• Rahburt April 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM #

I’ll check it out. And you’re right, quite insightful of you.

• chaseitorbchased April 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM #

Thanks. Tell me what projects you found interesting.

• Rahburt April 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM #

will do if i get around to it, ha. geez need more time 🙂

• chaseitorbchased April 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM #

Kickstarter takes time to get around, so many projects

• Rahburt May 4, 2013 at 4:00 AM #

do you just start by browsing projects?

• chaseitorbchased May 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM #

I browse projects: searching by keywords or staff picks or popular. What’s your technique ? They are so many projects, it takes time to sort them out …

• Rahburt May 5, 2013 at 3:36 AM #

yeah, i do the same. i like the popular section because it breaks it down by categories too.

• chaseitorbchased May 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM #

Any you like particularly ?

• Rahburt May 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM #

Not yet. I saw one that was a bracelet that notified you of texts, emails, phone calls etc. if your phone was in your pocket, but I think it would be quite the conversation killer if seine kept seeing your wrist light up.

• chaseitorbchased May 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM #

I think so too and the I-watch will kill it in a flash. Also not sure I need it as I always have my phone in my hand …

• Rahburt May 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM #

haha, agreed. sometimes i force myself to leave it at home or not look at it. it effects or daily interactions with people in our immediate presence.

• chaseitorbchased May 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM #

Very true, I can’t force myself to leave it home though

• Rahburt May 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM #

Autocorrect: seine=people

• chaseitorbchased May 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM #

iPhones ….

• Rahburt May 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM #

ha, yeppers

2. i type freehand April 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM #

i like the wallet. the green one. 🙂 thanks

• chaseitorbchased April 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM #

I’m not sure yet which one I’ll have. I hesitated between the green and the red one …

3. Beachbums1 April 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM #

Will definitely check this out ~ love to read about creative and innovative people/projects. Thanks for sharing this…

• chaseitorbchased April 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM #

I’m addicted to kickstarter. It takes time to browse the projects but you may discover interesting ones. And I think it’s cool to help people to achieve something.

4. skinnyuz2b May 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM #

Very interesting. This sounds like ‘Shark Tank’, but without the disparaging remarks.

Thank you for following 1950 Suburban Adventures. Much appreciated.

5. Kim 24/7 in France May 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM #

Interesting concept. Thanks for visiting/following my blog, too.

• chaseitorbchased May 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM #

I thought it was worth sharing, and if this can help a bit, I’m happy.

6. 2embracethelight May 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM #

Sounds like a fun adventure. And who doesn’t like an adventure.
    Yisraela

7. Mimi Broihier, writer & blogger May 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM #

Yay Crabby Wallet! Seems that product are the ones to emulate for success. Very good interview! (and thanks for following my little blog.)

• chaseitorbchased May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM #

You are right! Waiting for my soon. Thanks for following my blog. Have a great Sunday.

8. breast actives side effects June 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM #

Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological
    world all is available on net?

• chaseitorbchased June 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM #

they love the touch and feel of paper. Same works with the CDs of vinyls. I’m 100% digital though

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 4 cool projects to back | Chase It Or B Chased - May 3, 2013

[…] our review on the crowd founding “Did you back anyone today?” and an interview of Ryan Crabtree who successfully funded his Crabby […]

2. The return of the ManPack! | Chase It Or B Chased - April 28, 2014

[…] pockets perfect for the iPhone/Blackberry/Samsung. . 4 inside pockets (great to fit my wallets (the Crabby wallet and the Simple wallet, never put all your eggs in the same basket), my portable battery Sherpa 50) […]