MobileMe is dead, long life to iCloud!
Why should you use and abuse of it ? What does it bring to your iLife ? How does it work ? And how will it or not replace MobileMe? How to use it in your daily life in order to be super-productive like your boss expects you to be ?
Those are the questions I’ll try to answer today !
- First you need IOS5 on you iDevices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch).
- Then you need an iTunes ID.
- Then you are entitled to have an iCloud, your very own cloud above your head 😉
The concept of the cloud is the 100% dematerialization of the content of your computer/iphone/ipad into the cloud.
- documents (powerpoint or keynote, excel or numbers, word or pages, …),
no longer occupy space on your hardware.
Basically, if your computer is lost, broken, too old or if you lose your iPhone … you can replace the content of it by reaching to the cloud to grab all the content waiting for you up there.
The iCloud just launched by beloved Steve Jobs does have a twist: it will automatically store all the music, tv shows, films, books, apps you bought using your iTunes ID, as well as the last 1.000 pictures you took with your iPhone …
So for free all your content bought on iTunes will be stored in a 5Gb cloud.
To turn the iCloud option ON, follow those easy steps
- Go to “Settings”
- Select “iCloud”
- enter you Apple ID and tick on or off the content you don’t want to sync in your cloud among all you devices
Cool, BUT what about the CDs you bought legally in a music store that you threw away ? What about your home videos of your last vacation in Florida ?
Pay attention to the fact that
- the pictures will stay on the cloud up to 30 days... Then what ? they disappear from the cloud (but stay on the devise you used to take the pictures with). The pictures will be visible on your iPhone too and ready to be downloaded on your computer hard disk. On Mac, you’ll need Lion operating system, on PC you’ll have to download an update.
You want to store your presentations, excel and word documents, then you need to buy (one time) the ios version of Keynote, Numbers and Page for your IOS devices (it will do for iPhone and iPad, each app is priced 7,95$). For the Mac, each software is listed at $19,95.
Pay attention to the fact that if you want to store different format than the powerpoint, excel or word, you won’t be able to store those on the iCloud and you’ll need then to get a dropbox account.
If you want extra storage for your docs, it will cost you
- 20$ for 10 extra Gb
- 40$ for 20 extra Gb
- 100$ for 50 extra Gb
Why use the iCloud ? Because you will have a total synchronization of you content across your iDevices without having to synchronize, like you did before, the iPhone, then your iPad on your computer. It’s really impressive to see the documents you just typed on your iPad already on your iPhone and on your computer in a matter of seconds.
ChaseIt or BChased ?
In short, you don’t really have the choice, all the iTunes content (music, TV shows, and pictures) are already on the cloud and you just have to turn on the option on your iDevices to synchronize them all together. It’s free for the first 5Gb.
BChased because if you need extra room for your content or documents … a dropbox will be necessary (2Gb free, then 99$ for 50Gb a year). And you will then be able to store the docs like you did on MobileMe, share folders of pictures, presentations, …