So IOS5 is finally ready to be downloaded on your iPhone/iPad!
I was all excited this Saturday to upgrade my iPhone.
First, I needed the last version of iTunes (you can download it)
Then, my MacBook said “a new IOS version is ready to be downloaded, do you want it ?”. YES, I want it !
New message from iTunes “You will lose all apps and media content” oops …
So before doing anything,
- Transfer the content you bought on iTunes on to your computer (iTunes menu > File > Transfer what you bought on you iPhone)
- Backup your iPhone or iPad (right-click(PC) or control-click(Mac) on your iPhone in iTunes and choose “Backup”)
- Don’t forget to import all your pictures to your computer (just to be safe)
Now you’re all set!
- You have the newest iTunes version
- Your iPhone is backup-ed
- Your photos are saved on your computer
Sweaty moments ahead.
Ok. So it backuped my iPhone and upgraded the IOS. Then the iPhone turned black and the white apple appeared.
Black screen again and then the apple appeared to ask me to enter the pin code, choose my language, the country, geo localization.
Then they ask you “set up as a new iPhone” and you say no! Restore from iCloud Backup? No again. Restore from iTunes Backup ? YESSSSS!!!
Cross your fingers … it connects to iTunes… And it’s done.
- Restore in progress …
- Time remaining 30 minutes …
- Restore completed. The iPhone turns off and back on. Wait to see it appear on your iTunes
- Sim card locked. Unlock it with your pin, geo localization OK, then log in with your iTunes ID (log in with my MobileMe account …
My iPhone is now setup to your IOS5 !!! OK that was a scary adventure, but we survived.
All that for what ? What does IOS5 bring to your iPhone ?
- New icones: Reminders, Newstand
- New functions: Camera on the locked screen, Notifications, iCloud …
- More than 200 functions promised by Apple !
So today, we’ll just talk about the notifications.
Notifications: you don’t see anything special on your screen (locked or unlocked, it’s normal there are no new notifications yet).
Where can you see the notification ?
- Go to your home screen,
- Then drag down (from up to down, start on the hour)
- and you’ll discover the notification pannel
You can customize it to fit your needs,
- On top you see the weather, where I am (Paris, 11°C right now, mostly sunny with some clouds 😉
- Some tasks from my Reminders I need to do today …
- Calendar: there’s one birthday today
- Facebook notifications
- Notification from games I’m playing online, I need to make a move on Words with Friends …
To customize your very own view,
- go to Settings > Notifications
- check the group “In Notification Center”
- then select each application you want
- and allow it or not to be seen in your notification panel
So far, I’m happy with the IOS5, but i need to discover all it brings to my iPhone. I’m still working on it.
Next time we’ll talk about the camera on the locked screen!
So stay tuned to ChaseItOrBChased.com